Tuesday 26 January 2010

Repetitive Sex Injury

Last week there was an article in the Sun which states that too much sex can cause carpal tunnel syndrome.

The Sun referred to an article in a medical journal called Medical Hypotheses. Unfortunately, the journal journal isn't one which is peer-reviewed and so anything can be published in it, including articles by AIDS denalists.

The Sun doesn't link to the article in question – nor is it even named – but it appears to be the one entitled "The role of sexual intercourse in the etiology of carpal tunnel syndrome".

Unfortunately, I am unable to obtain the full article, but the journal in which it is published, says a lot about its credibility.

UPDATE: Via the comments, I have been emailed me a PDF copy of the article in question. After looking through the article, I don't see anything which causes me to change my views on the credibility of the article. In my view, if there was something there, it would have been published in a more-credible journal...

4 comments:

Enzyme said...

I've downloaded the .pdf; I could send that to you if you really want. Give me a yell. (I assume you've got my email address from the data that come along with the submission of this comment; otherwise... um... I dunno.)

Unknown said...

Sure!

Email it to dnoticeblog@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I can vouch for this as a fact...

Unknown said...

DHG: Of course, that's simply an anecdote...