When you read the Sun, Daily Mail and the Express over a long-enough period of time, you start to notice a few things.
One thing that crops up regularly are hysterical ranting posts over a few small topics, including the following:
- It's Political Correctness/'Elf-and-Safety gawn maaaddd!!!;
- Scandal as the NHS refuses treatment!!!!!/New miracle cure for [insert scary medical condition here] - this is a particular favourite of the Mail which appears to be on a quest to categorise everything into either causing or curing cancer;
- Eurocrats are trying to control our way of life!!!!;
- Immigrants taking over and guess who's paying?!!!!
Therefore, in the spirit of co-operation, we've decided to help them out by listing great sources of information, thereby saving them valuable time:
- Health and Safety Executive - "Myth of the Month" - a useful site for any claims which are made about bizarre actions taken or prevented in the name of preventing accident;
- NHS Choices - Behind the Headlines - a very good site for any "miracle cure" stories;
- National Institute of Clinical Excellence - evidence-based guidelines on various health topics, which go a long way to help the NHS what medicines and treatments should and shouldn't be funded by the taxpayer;
- News from the European Commission in the UK - news on how the Eurocrats aren't necessarily trying to dictate how we live;
- The Refugee Council - The Truth About Asylum;
- National Assembly Against Racism - Mythbusting Guide (PDF); and also
- Mediawise's guide to the use of correct terminology.
If anyone has any other suggestions as what other sources our tabloid journalists could use, just leave them in the comments.
* Thanks to Tabloid Watch for these particular links
** Thanks to Bloggerheads for these suggestions