Thursday 26 March 2009

Sun in disgraceful journalism shocker.

There was a major story today which highlighted some truly reprehensible journalism by the Sun which I was intending to post on, but which has since been removed from the newspaper site on which it was posted, not I presume because it was inaccurate but because of a court order which had previously been granted that had brought the initial coverage to an end. I'm not going to repeat it because I think the story, broken in the Sun, should never have been published in the first place, but if you're so inclined you'll undoubtedly be able to find it. I do however hope that the Press Complaints Commission, which was already investigating the initial story, now throws the book at the Sun.

6 comments:

Martin Belam said...

Unfortunately, I think the only book that the PCC possesses to throw is a one of those small mini-books of cute pictures of dogs that you can pick up at the cash desk of Borders.

Anonymous said...

Nick Davies apparently claimed in Flat Earth News that 0.69% of complaints to the PCC over a ten-year period were upheld by the PCC. Fewer than 10% of the complaints to the PCC during this period were even accepted for investigation. I took a look at the most recent six-month period reported on the PCC website and found that 9 out of 1846 complaints had been upheld.

MacGuffin said...

Will the PCC actually be able to publish an adjudication? Surely that which cannot be mentioned would be integral to any PCC judgement?

septicisle said...

Even if they can't mention the new information, I would have thought it will have some influence on the decision they reach.

ben said...

Now I'm really intrigued! What was the story?

ben said...

Now I'm really intrigued! What was the story?